Science is fun on the ICN! Levers, wedges, pulleys, incline planes, wheels and axles, screws and more are yours to explore when 'Gizmo Glen' is around!
In cooperation with the Bettendorf Family Museum, Glen Boyles helps students discover the principles of simple machines and how they make our work easier every day.
After Glen demonstrates how simple machines work, it is the students' turn! Students, while in the ICN rooms, utilize learned principals to create a new contraption that pushes pulls or rolls.
PLEASE NOTE: Registrants agree to provide the listed materials for each student. Please print this description to maintain a list of these materials for your records.
Students create a 'gizmo' of their own after Glen demonstrates the 6 simple machines. Teachers need to bring the following materials to the ICN room for each student.
YOU MAY SUBSTITUTE OR OMIT ITEMS AT YOUR DISCRETION:
1. 2 uncooked pasta wheels (rotelle)
2. One 2-inch piece of a coffee stirrer that fits through the center hole of the pasta wheel (to make a wheel and axle)
3. One 4oz paper cup
4. One half of a regular plastic drinking straw
5. One pom pom (the 1" fuzzy craft balls)or cotton ball
6. One 8-inch piece of string
7. Two paper clips
8. Two craft sticks (regular Popsicle sticks)
9. One jumbo craft stick (tongue depressor)
10. One roll of masking tape (2-3 students may share tape)
Following the ICN session, registrants receive a complimentary book.