The Civil War
The Cause - 1861 (1 of 9) (#101)
Series Description: Award-winning documentary filmmaker Ken Burns' landmark series portrays the terrible conflict that tore America apart and defined it as a nation. The series embraces the entire sweep of the war using archival photographs, period paintings, newsreel footage of civil war veterans, live cinematography of battle sites, interviews with eminent historian, and a chorus of voices reading from diaries, letters, speeches and newspapers of the era.
All Upcoming Episodes
In part 4, there is fierce northern opposition to Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, and increasing desperation on the Confederate home front. Part 5 focuses on the turning point of the war—the... [176 minutes]
In part 8, William Tecumseh Sherman's March to the Sea brings war to the heart of Georgia and the Carolinas and spells the end of the Confederacy. The series ends, in part 9, by considering the... [146 minutes]
These episodes of The Civil War aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- A Very Bloody Affair - 1862/Forever Free - 1862 (2 & 3 of 9) (#102)
- The Cause - 1861 (1 of 9) (#101)
- War Is All Hell - 1865/The Better Angels of Our Nature - 1865 (#108)
- Valley of the Shadow of Death - 1864/Most Hallowed Ground - 1864 (#106)
- Simply Murder - 1863/The Universe of Battle - 1863 (4 & 5 of 9) (#104)