The Civil War
Valley of the Shadow of Death - 1864/Most Hallowed Ground - 1864 (6 & 7 of 9) (#106)
Part 6 moves to the ghastly hospitals in both the North and South, and follows Sherman's Atlanta campaign through the mountains of northern Georgia. In part 7, opinion in the North has turned strongly against Lincoln and the war. [145 minutes]
The Civil War began at 4:30 am on April 12, 1861 02:42
The third day of Gettysburg 08:28
The Gettysburg Address 05:53
The ramifications of the Civil War 05:16
The Civil War was fought in 10,000 places. Clip from Episode 1. 03:38
- Watch more video from this program »
Series Description: Award-winning documentary filmmaker Ken Burns' landmark series portrays the terrible conflict that tore America apart and defined it as a nation. The series embraces the entire sweep of the war using archival photographs, period paintings, newsreel footage of civil war veterans, live cinematography of battle sites, interviews with eminent historian, and a chorus of voices reading from diaries, letters, speeches and newspapers of the era.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of The Civil War aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- War Is All Hell - 1865/The Better Angels of Our Nature - 1865 (#108)
- Valley of the Shadow of Death - 1864/Most Hallowed Ground - 1864 (6 & 7 of 9) (#106)
- Simply Murder - 1863/The Universe of Battle - 1863 (Parts 4 & 5 of 9) (#104)
- A Very Bloody Affair - 1862/Forever Free - 1862 (Parts 2 & 3 of 9) (#102)
- The Cause - 1861 (#101)