Landscapes Through Time with David Dunlop
Series Description: David Dunlop is an Emmy award winning nationally acclaimed painter, art historian, and teacher who has lectured throughout the country, including at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. His paintings are in national and international private and corporate collections, including Aetna Insurance, Citibank, Colgate Palmolive, Delta Airlines, GE, IBM, and Mobil. ARTnews wrote that David has the "enthusiasm and breadth of knowledge of BBC host Jacob Bronowski and the geniality of late Australian wildlife expert Steve Irwin," and his engaging and entertaining manner makes the artists and their paintings come alive. Inspired by David Dunlop's infectious enthusiasm and encyclopedic knowledge, Landscapes Through Time combines art, history, travel, philosophy, science and technique to explore the lives and art of thirteen different artists or groups of artists, creating a new way for artists as well as a general television audience to experience and visually participate in the power and magic of the act of artistic creation. In each program, host, art historian and artist David Dunlop travels to thirteen beautiful, iconic locations (seven in France and six in the US) that were sources of inspiration for these master painters, such as Monet's water lily garden in Giverny, Van Gogh's asylum in Provence, and the Hudson River Painters' Kaaterskill Falls in New York. David first presents the personal, artistic, and historic context in which the artists' worked and examines the evolution of their artistic lives. He then places his easel at the exact locations where the artists set theirs and paints the same scenes, demonstrating the individualized style and techniques of each painter while discussing artistic, technical, optical and perceptual insights. He explains each step of the process - showing how they painted - and reveals techniques and secrets of the masters. Finally, David briefly works with one of his students to incorporate those techniques into their own painting.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of Landscapes Through Time with David Dunlop aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Frederic Church's Olana In Hudson River Valley, Ny (#113)
- American Impressionists at Lieutenant River, Ct (#112)
- The Hudson River Painters at Kaaterskill Falls, Ny (#111)
- The Luminous Landscapes of John Frederick Kensett, Contentment Island, CT (#110)
- The Transcendent Landscapes of George Inness, Montclair, NJ (#109)
- American Impressionists In Old Lyme, Ct (#108)
- Etretat - A Landscape of Inspiration along the Normandy Coast of France (#107)
- Jmw Turner at the Harbor of Honfleur (#106)
- American Impressionists In Giverny, France (#105)
- Renoir's Olive Groves in the South of France (#104)
- Cezanne at Mont Sainte Victoire (#103)