Harlem in Montmartre (#3412)
"Harlem in Montmartre" tells the story of the jazz age in Paris between the first and second World Wars, exploring an often neglected era in African-American cultural history. After peace was signed at Versailles, many black Americans remained in Europe rather than return to the brutal segregation and racism of America. Over the next two decades, they created an expatriate community of musicians, entertainers and entrepreneurs, primarily congregating in Paris's hilly Montmartre neighborhood. Some achieved enduring fame, while others have faded into history. Inspired by the book by William A. Shack and utilizing rare archival material from both France and America, this documentary features footage of such key figures as James Reese Europe, Josephine Baker, Sidney Bechet, Bricktop, Eugene Bullard, Django Reinhardt, and many more. [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Anika Noni Rose (Marta) performs "Another Hundred People" in Stephen Sondheim's "Company," airing Friday, Nov. 8 at... 02:17
Stephen Colbert (Harry) and Martha Plimpton (Sarah) play a married couple whose karate demonstration gets a bit... 03:17
In the opening song, "Company," Bobby (Neil Patrick Harris) is the object of attention of his five sets of married... 03:16
Captured from the stage of Avery Fisher Hall at New York's Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, the musical airs... 00:31
Composer Jake Heggie and librettist Gene Scheer's award-winning opera Moby-Dick will be broadcast on Great... 00:31
- Watch more video from this program »
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 252 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a December Celebration program
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Cats (#4003)
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Star-Spangled Spectacular: Bicentennial of Our National Anthem (#4002)
- Rejoice with Itzhak Perlman and Cantor Yitzchak Meir Helfgot (#3816)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2014 (#3909)
- Sting: The Last Ship (#3906)
- Dudamel Conducts the Verdi Requiem at the Hollywood Bowl (#4001)
- Placido Domingo: My Favorite Roles (#3609)