Paul Taylor Dance Company in Paris (#3802)
Paul Taylor is the last living member of the pantheon that created America's indigenous art of modern dance. At an age when most artists' best work is behind them, Taylor continues to win acclaim for the vibrancy, relevance and power of his recent dances as well as his classics. Recorded during the Taylor Company's 2012 performances at the Theatre National de Chaillot in Paris, GREAT PERFORMANCES presents two of Taylor's enduring masterworks. Brandenburgs, first performed in 1988 to music from Bach's Brandenburg concertos #3 and # 6; and his 2008 ballet Beloved Renegade set to music of Francis Poulenc. Set to Poulenc's "Gloria," Beloved Renegade is inspired by the life and work of poet Walt Whitman, and depicts the experiences of an artist described in a line from Whitman's Leaves of Grass: "I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the soul." The dance unfolds with various scenes reminiscent of episodes in Whitman's life. [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 263 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Mon, November 30, 8:00 PM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Chita Rivera: A Lot of Livin' to Do (#4009)
- Billy Elliot: The Musical Live (#3915)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)